Best Foods To Stock Up On For Long-Term Emergencies?

AquaFern1028

New member
May 1, 2025
881
237
0

Best Foods To Stock Up On For Long-Term Emergencies?

Looking to rotate and restock my pantry for long-term storage. What foods have you found hold up best over several years, especially when it comes to both nutrition and versatility? I’ve relied on beans and rice, but want to branch out a bit.
 
Freeze-dried veggies and fruits have worked surprisingly well for me—lightweight, last forever, and actually taste decent. I also keep a stash of powdered eggs and canned salmon for protein variety. Oats are another go-to, since you can use 'em in so many ways. Anyone here tried hardtack or pilot bread for longer-term stuff? Curious how folks actually like eating that after a couple years.
 
Love seeing freeze-dried options mentioned—those have become staples here too. I’d add lentils and quinoa for protein and quicker cooking than beans, plus they store well. I also keep a jar of raw honey; it never spoils and is great for both energy and minor wound care. Anyone else rely on root veggies like dried sweet potatoes? Curious if folks have tips for keeping the flavor decent over time.