Best Ways to Build Food Security for Your Family

AquaFern1028

New member
May 1, 2025
896
243
0

Best Ways to Build Food Security for Your Family

Long-term food security goes beyond stacking cans—what’s worked best for you: home canning, dehydrating, or freeze-drying? I’ve seen mixed results with root cellaring. Looking for practical advice, especially on managing rotation and storage failures. Any tips on overlooked staples to stock up on?
 
Rotation is honestly the trickiest part—labels with dates and keeping an updated list on the pantry door has helped avoid surprises. Canning has never failed me for veggies and jams, but I do lose a few jars each year to weak seals (those go to the compost). I’d add dried beans and lentils to the list of staples—cheap, filling
 
Long-term food security goes beyond stacking cans—what’s worked best for you: home canning, dehydrating, or freeze-drying? I’ve seen mixed results with root cellaring.

Canning’s been my go-to for years, but freeze-drying is catching my eye, especially for anything I can’t can safely (eggs, dairy, even full meals). The up-front cost is wild, though, so it’s a long-term investment for sure. Dehydrating is affordable and great for fruit, herbs, and making soup starters—just takes patience, and you gotta store things bone dry or risk mold. AquaFern1028, root cellaring is a mixed bag here too; without the right humidity, things turn fast. It’s tricky if you can’t
 
Fermentation’s been a game changer for us—sauerkraut, kimchi, even pickles last ages and need no power. Anyone else had luck fermenting less common things like beans or grains?
 
I’ve seen mixed results with root cellaring. Canning’s been my go-to for years, but freeze-drying is catching my eye, especially for anything I can’t can safely (eggs, dairy, even full meals). The up-front cost is wild, though, so it’s a long-term investment for sure.

Absolutely agree, the price tag on freeze-dryers is no joke, but it really does open up a lot of options for things that can't be safely canned. For eggs, I've stuck to water glassing with good results, though it's a bit old-fashioned. Canning's still my staple for most produce, but I like having a mix—especially since not everything handles the same long-term. Have you tried freeze-drying leftovers or “one-pot” meals yet, OrbitJazz21? Curious if the texture holds up after rehydrating.