Best Ways to Store Water Long-Term?

MeadowWhisperer

New member
May 6, 2025
821
213
0

Best Ways to Store Water Long-Term?

Looking to store water for the long haul—what's the most reliable method? I've seen mixed advice about food-grade barrels, bleach, and even old glass jugs. Any proven setups for keeping large quantities potable for a few years?
 
  • Love
Reactions: GarnetDusk
Looking to store water for the long haul—what's the most reliable method? I've seen mixed advice about food-grade barrels, bleach, and even old glass jugs. Any proven setups for keeping large quantities potable for a few years?

Food-grade barrels are definitely the gold standard for storing big amounts, just make sure they’re truly food safe and opaque to block light. I’ve had good luck with a few drops of unscented bleach per gallon to keep nasty stuff at bay, but I also rotate and refill every 6-12 months for peace of mind. Old
 
  • Like
Reactions: MeadowWhisperer
Opaque, food-grade barrels with tightly sealed lids work best for me—add the right bleach amount and keep them somewhere cool. Ever tried using water preserver concentrate instead of bleach?
 
I've seen mixed advice about food-grade barrels, bleach, and even old glass jugs. Any proven setups for keeping large quantities potable for a few years?

I’ve relied on food-grade barrels for years and found them dependable, as long as they’re thoroughly cleaned and stored out of sunlight. Bleach is effective—about 1/8 teaspoon per gallon is the guideline I stick to, but double-check the math! I’ve also experimented with glass jugs, but they’re heavy and not practical for bulk storage. Consistency with rotating