How Much Water Do You REALLY Need Stored?

ChrysanthiDream

New member
May 6, 2025
829
200
0

How Much Water Do You REALLY Need Stored?

With all the emphasis on water storage, I keep seeing the standard “1 gallon per person per day” recommendation, but is that really enough, especially if you consider things like gardening, sanitation, and medical needs? Realistically, how much are folks actually storing per household, and is there a formula that accounts for pets, laundry, or longer-term off-grid living? Appreciate any input on what’s actually worked for you, not just the textbook answer.
 
With all the emphasis on water storage, I keep seeing the standard “1 gallon per person per day” recommendation, but is that really enough, especially if you consider things like gardening, sanitation, and medical needs? Realistically, how much are folks actually storing per household, and is there a formula that accounts for pets, laundry, or longer-term off-grid living? Appreciate any input on what’s actually worked for you, not just the textbook answer.

One gallon per day barely covers drinking and basic hygiene, let alone pets or gardening—I've bumped mine up to at least 3 gallons per person when planning for any real off-grid stretch. Have you tried tracking your actual usage?
 
Realistically, how much are folks actually storing per household, and is there a formula that accounts for pets, laundry, or longer-term off-grid living? Appreciate any input on what’s actually worked for you, not just the textbook answer.

If you’ve got pets or plan on doing any laundry at all, that textbook one-gallon guideline just doesn’t cut it. In my house, two adults with a dog and a few spoiled chickens, I store about 4 gallons per person per day, with extra for the animals and some set aside just for washing. For longer-term situations, I double up if I can—herbs and veggies don’t thrive on rationing, and frankly, neither