First aid absolutely comes first in my book—panic and injuries go hand in hand when disaster strikes, and knowing how to handle bleeding, broken bones, or shock can be a literal lifesaver (for you or someone else). After that, water purification should be next. You can survive a while without food, but bad water will take you down fast. Even a simple understanding of boiling times, DIY filters, and what NOT to drink is huge. Food preservation rounds out my top three, especially if you want to stretch supplies or garden produce. Canning, dehydrating, or even basic root cellar know-how makes a big difference long term.
All the other skills matter, but these three cover immediate survival and buy you time to figure the rest out. Sometimes people overlook basic firemaking, but I group that with purification since heat is key for safe water. Has anyone found a way to practice food preservation on a tight budget? I find canning supplies get pricey, but maybe there are cheaper tricks out there I haven’t run into yet.