What’s One Prep You Wish You’d Started Sooner?

ChrysanthiDream

New member
May 6, 2025
827
199
0

What’s One Prep You Wish You’d Started Sooner?

Looking back, I wish I’d started practicing food preservation methods like canning and dehydrating a lot sooner. It’s so much more reliable than just stockpiling cans from the store, and home-preserved food keeps well if stored right. Has anyone else felt like they waited too long on a particular prep? Would love to hear what others put off and maybe what finally got you going.
 
  • Love
Reactions: CeruleanScribe
Wish I’d gotten serious about solar setups years earlier. Thought it was too expensive or complicated, but turns out there’s a lot you can do little by little. Even just a basic battery/inverter system has kept my gear running during outages. Funny how a couple blackout nights finally pushed me to figure it all out. Anyone else here use solar for more than just emergency lighting?
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlueHarborTea
Wish I’d gotten serious about solar setups years earlier. Thought it was too expensive or complicated, but turns out there’s a lot you can do little by little. Even just a basic battery/inverter system has kept my gear running during outages. Funny how a couple blackout nights finally pushed me to figure it all out. Anyone else here use solar for more than just emergency lighting?

Solar always seemed a bit intimidating to me too—like something you needed a whole engineering degree to tackle. Funny how those blackout nights push us out of our comfort zones! I mostly use solar for keeping a few essentials running now, like charging my phone and small appliances, and honestly wish I’d started sooner. Once I got over that initial “it’s too technical” wall, I realized a simple panel and battery setup goes a long way.

I do wonder, OrbitJazz21, do you use solar for anything like running a freezer or dehydrator? I’ve been tempted, but I worry the draw would be too much for my setup. Mostly, I just use it for lighting