What’s Your Go-To Low-Tech Water Purification Method?

CeruleanScribe

New member
May 6, 2025
813
218
0

What’s Your Go-To Low-Tech Water Purification Method?

Boiling is the old standby for making water safe, but I’m curious what others rely on when fuel or time are limited. I keep a few ceramic gravity filters on hand since I like the simplicity—no need for power, and they’re pretty durable if you don’t knock ‘em around. I’ve experimented with homemade charcoal and sand filters too, but I’m not always confident in getting rid of all pathogens that way unless I follow up with a chemical treatment or UV exposure (which isn't always “low tech” if you’re using a UV pen).

Does anyone here routinely use solar disinfection (SODIS) or other passive methods? How effective has it been for you, especially in less-than-ideal weather or with very
 
  • Like
Reactions: BlueHarborTea
Ceramic filters have always had my respect—if you keep ‘em clean, they’re workhorses. Charcoal and sand filters are great for clarity and taste, but totally agree, they don’t get everything. I’ve tried SODIS quite a few times here in Michigan, and honestly, it’s hit or miss. On a hot, cloudless day, clear PET bottles left out for 6 hours seem to work pretty well, especially with water that’s already been strained through cloth first. But if it’s overcast or the water’s a bit murky, I just can’t trust it.

Sometimes if I’m out foraging and only have a fire for a short time, I’ll do a combo: homemade charcoal filter, then a dash of wild mint or yarrow in the water, and set it out for solar treatment.
 
Ceramic filters have been my mainstay, too—seems like the most reliable “set and forget” method as long as you keep up with cleaning. I do like the idea of SODIS, but honestly, here in the Midwest, sun’s too unpredictable for me to rely on it exclusively (cloud cover or even haze makes a big difference). Tried it for backup during a power outage last summer—clear PET bottles, six hours direct sun, but I still get nervous if the water’s not sparkling clear beforehand.

One thing I’ve done in a pinch: gravity filter with homemade charcoal, then a dab of unscented bleach (plain old sodium hypochlorite, following the old Red Cross ratio). Not exactly “no chemicals,” but if fuel and sun are iffy, it’s a good fallback. After 30 minutes, the taste is barely noticeable, especially if you let it sit open a bit.

For anyone who’s tried clay pot or slow sand filters—do you notice a difference in taste or flow compared to ceramics? I like