Whats Your Most Overlooked Prep Item?

MarigoldBreeze

New member
May 3, 2025
787
207
0

Whats Your Most Overlooked Prep Item?

Curious what everyday prep item most folks tend to forget. For me, it's always a manual can opener—easy to overlook but essential if the power’s out. What’s your most commonly missed item in your kits?
 
Easy to forget about backup batteries for hearing aids or glasses repair kits—especially as you get older and those little things make all the difference. I once spent hours searching through my emergency bin during a blackout, only to realize I had no spare reading glasses at all! Ended up taping together a broken pair with duct tape (bless the inventor of duct tape, honestly).

Also, folks tend to overlook low-tech entertainment like a deck of cards or a book of puzzles. Boredom can be just as tough as any logistical challenge during a long outage or bug-in. And, strange as it sounds, extra trash bags—so handy for everything from makeshift
 
Curious what everyday prep item most folks tend to forget. For me, it's always a manual can opener—easy to overlook but essential if the power’s out. What’s your most commonly missed item in your kits?

Manual can opener, absolutely—I've made that mistake myself a couple times, thinking the pull tabs would be enough, but turns out a surprising amount of cans still need the old twist method. One thing I always forget is extra reading glasses. I stow one pair everywhere—car, kitchen drawer, bug-out bag—yet somehow, when I really need them, they vanish! Another biggie:
 
  • Love
Reactions: EchoTangoFox
Curious what everyday prep item most folks tend to forget. For me, it's always a manual can opener—easy to overlook but essential if the power’s out. What’s your most commonly missed item in your kits?

Manual can opener—yes, it’s wild how many folks forget that one. I’ll add matches or a reliable fire starter to the list. Folks stash lots of canned food, but then can’t open them or cook anything if they haven’t got a safe way to start a fire, especially when everything’s damp. I also like to tuck away a small sewing kit—buttons fall off at the most inconvenient times. Ever fixed a torn glove with fishing line? Not pretty, but it’ll last!